Friday, August 21, 2015

Things I love about Triathlon - Cheezy Quotes.

“You can quit if you want, and no one will care. But you will know the rest of your life.” – John Collins (Founder of The Ironman).

"Anything is possible"

"Its not a triathlon. Its Life."

"The sky is not my limit… I am. "

"I don’t stop when I’m tired, I stop when I’m done."

"Shut up legs!"

A trillion tee shirts, tattoos, facebook posts, office inspiration pictures and sonorous voice overs on Kona videos cant be wrong. The cheesy inspirational quote is king.

Actually I’m saying this with all seriousness – I truly love these quotes. I’m fully aware that sometimes they can be a bit vacuous, often they contradict each other and they hardly constitute an all-round healthy physical and mental philosophy.

However, when I’m about to die of terminal chafing 2 hours into a 3 hour run, when I’m wondering if I really want to get on the bike and ride on a Melbourne winters morning, basically when my world has shrunk to a single, painful, choice between easy and hard I don’t need a holistic philosophy to guide my path to enlightenment through questions and doubts. What I need is something simple, something clear, something certain. 

Save your long winded ambiguity and existential angst for office, the classroom or lecture theatre – in the wetsuit, on my bike or hitting the pavement give me the simple moral clarity of a cheesy inspirational quote every time.

I love these so much I'm going to start including them in my blog posts from now on - you have been warned.